Windcrest Farm Volunteer Opportunities
Windcrest Farm Intern Opportunities:
Learn & Grow Organic Farm School is offering 3 educational opportunities to
Farm Entrepreneurs Interns for the 2016 growing season.
- Vegetable production
- Cut flower production
- Herb production
Who we are:
Windcrest Farm is a 14 acre USDA Certified Organic Farm and Greenhouse in Monroe, NC, located 35 miles southeast of downtown Charlotte, NC. Established in 1978, our farm includes two production greenhouses, three high tunnels and two acres of cropland. Our products include organic vegetable, herb and flower transplants for market growers, CSA farms and home gardeners, fresh produce, cut flowers and herbs. Our markets include area farmers markets, restaurants and direct to consumer sales. We also offer seasonal educational classes and workshops.
What you will learn at Windcrest Farm:
- Crop Planning
- Soil Fertility Management
- Greenhouse Management
- Field & High Tunnel Production
- Integrated Pest Management - Weed, Disease & Insect
- Harvest and Post-harvest Handling
- Record Keeping
This opportunity will benefit students who want:
- Hands-on experience before starting their own venture
- Exposure to day-to-day farm management
- Experience with organic crop production and USDA Organic Certification requirements and recordkeeping
- Direct market experience
- Specific education for vegetable, herb or cut flower production
Applicants MUST be:
APPLICATION and AGREEMENT
- Available March 2016 through August 2016 for a minimum of 16 hours per week on-farm, including minimum 4 hrs. on Friday for harvesting.
- Familiar with the basic field or garden working environment
- Comfortable working independently
- Detail-oriented and paperwork tolerant
Contact us for more information on this program.